Thursday 5 March 2009

Saint Caffe - St. Paul's Square

Aaaah aaaah ahhh ...

(That was me doing an impression of a choir of angels to introduce this place. In case you didn't guess. Geez - what's wrong with you people?...)

OK umm, this is a little cafe in the lovely St. Paul's square. Just a wee thing, but host to Likemind coffee mornings, from whence I snapped its toilets.





Now, it's a small, low-key, unpretentious place, so I wasn't expecting its toilets to be making any kind of statement. But if there were; I would expect they would be saying this: "White! WHITE! WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE! WHITE, I TELL YOU!" Cos, umm, they're a bit white. Kind of ties in with the whole angelic purity thing; I'm sure...

Decor: 6/10
I've been fairly generous here, because it's only a little cafe and I wasn't expecting silk wallpaper or anything. And once I'd scraped my eyeballs off the back of my skull where they'd retreated from the dazzling glare of whiteness, I could see that, amongst the cold, clinical, unimaginative WHITE there were some nice little touches. Regard:



Perdy mirror. I am also obsessed with mirrors, so a nice pretty one always makes me happy. And so on to:



Ahhhh. How sweet - a lovely big rose climbing up the wall. Bless.

Cleanliness: 8/10
Well, it was only about 9:30 am, so the crazy coffee-drinking vandals of St. Paul's Square hadn't had time to get in there and trash the place yet. As I'm sure they do, on a regular basis ... It would have been 10/10 except that, as we all know, ladies and gents, white shows up every last trace of dirt. Be warned, loo decorators.

Ambience: errrr yeah 5/10
Not sure how to rate this as it's not really there for the ambience. As I say; it's just a little cafe so the loos aren't really anything other than functional. They work. Well done. Feels very cold and clinical though.

Lighting: 3/10
Arrrrrrrgggh! The whiiiite, the whiiiite! .... (etc)

Stay & Play: pfff...
Yeah ... You can't really, there's only 1 loo and they don't serve alcohol, so the chances of stumbling off for a drawn-out drunken girly chat while your mate's having a wee are highly unlikely. I haven't rated them on this as they're not really designed for that purpose. Which obviously, other loos clearly are..

Recommendations:
Just soften it up a little. Or give people sunglasses on entry. Nice little touches are great, especially for a purely functional loo; but all the white is soooo harsh.

No comments: