Sunday 1 February 2009

Bluu Bar; Summer Row

Bluuu. Bluuuuuuu. Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

Because, clearly - 'e's just aren't cool enough.

Anyway, this is an interesting place; where they have a spectacularly enormous cocktail menu; where there are lots of scantily-clad, red-lipped, curvaceous ladies adorning its decor, and where they told me I wasn't allowed to eat. Or if I must, then it would be in the restuarant - on my own. While my friends chowed down on their steaks, next to me... Hmmm...

ANYWAY; this is not about a vendetta (not least because it is actually a great place; plus they have bargainous half-price deals on many things)- this is about loos:






Mm hmm. I like 'em. I like the weird long washbasins. I like the black and white tiles (see 'O'Neils' ... ) - I like various other unique touches (see Decor) BUT I have to admit; there was just something lacking. This is where that indefinable je ne sais quoi; that elusive 'ambience' comes in. And it didn't have as much as I thought it might. I can't quite put my finger on why. Perhaps it was the lighting - it was a bit cold and harsh. Team that with black and white and purple and you get quite dark colours. I dunno ... Tis a mystery ..

Decor: 7/10
As mentioned - yay tiles. Boo too much purple? Nice washbasin fittings and ooh - gadgets. I'm not an enormous techie geek, but I love it when people apply a bit of inventiveness to a toilet. In this case; clever little strip of 1 way glass so the laydeez can see into the club from the loos. Like it!:



Also, the rather fabulous red-lipped ladies make a subtle appearance in each cubicle:



(Err yeah, accompanied by myself, in this instance. Couldn't help it - it was a mirror. I am far more sensibly clad however, I hasten to point out..)

Cleanliness: 8/10
Don't remember there being any problems. Don't remember being able to see my reflection in the work surfaces either, but hey ho; I'm a tough woman to please ..

Ambience: 5/10
Weirdly lacking. Puzzling, cos lots of the right things in place, but for some reason just felt cold (I'm not talking temperatures here) and a bit ... plluuueeerggh. Those of you who mostly communicate in sound effects - like myself- will know what I mean.

Lighting: 5/10
OK, so perhaps herein lies the problem. It felt cold, it felt a bit harsh - although not bright; if anything verging on too dingy. Perhaps just too white. Or grey. Not warm and soft and comforting anyway. This bothers me.

Stay & Play?: 8/10
Y'see, despite the total lack of atmosphere, the fact that it's down a darkened subterranean corridor (with more monochrome tiled joy - yay!):



and into the bowels of the place makes it an ideal hidey hole for escape for a good gossip and/or re-application. PLUS the 1 way mirror - ideal for actually being able to actually point and laugh. Talk about being able to take a step out and objectify!

Recommendations:
Hmmm ... This is a tricky one. I love the little unique twists in here - the well thought out touches. Perhaps it's too thought out though - all head and no heart. It's odd. Just not enough warmth or atmosphere; and I can't quite put my finger on why ...

2 comments:

Paul Reaney said...

Summer Row was designed by Macaulay Sinclair of Nottingham. Go and have a look at their other stuff at www.macaulaysinclair.com

FiH said...

What, the whole of Summer Row? Gadzooks.

Sorry, no, clearly just being facetious. Just Bluu Bar. And very pretty it is too ;-)