Wednesday 31 December 2008

Moose; Birkenhead

Yep; just 'Moose'. Not 'Moose Bar' or 'The Moose' or anything - just plain 'Moose'.

You've gotta respect the Moose. It has a comedy name, is in deepest darkest Birkenhead, has the nicest staff in the universe AND great loos for a very small space:






The only slightly odd thing is the weird space-age/porthole door:




Yeah ... Not sure that a porthole loo door is the best design, but hey ho, it's a friendly bunch in Birkenhead. We like to errr... see other people wee. Actually; the porthole is very high up, and very purple, so it's more a case of Birkonian giants seeing small purple people wee.

Decor: 8/10
I love the stone flags in the floor. And the marble. There's something a bit earthy and hard-ass about these materials; but slick at the same time. Slightly confused space-age trimmings, but on the whole, they've done well with a small space.

Cleanliness: 9/10
Nothing visibly wrong with it; but stone flags can potentially look a weeny bit grotty. This is a very minor criticism, however.

Ambience: 8/10
Like everything else within the vicinity of Liverpool, for some reason this tiny Moose loo feels like it has a good degree of character. I like that.

Lighting: 7/10
Nice. Feels clean and shniy. Again, lighting onto mirror not great though. Toilet designers need to realise that ladies are more interested in being able to see themselves in the mirror than seeing themselves actually on the loo.

Stay and Play?: 7/10
In some ways I can imagine sneaking off for some serious girly chattage or re-application here. Although it is quite small. And the only loo, so might start getting a queue of angry Moosers outside ...

Recommendations:
Lose the space age door; make the mirror square or round; for some reason the circular mirror doesn't go with the rest of the decor - I guess I think of stone and marble as old, solid materials; so don't go with round, modern, clean-line mirrors. Blimey, I'm fussy ....

2 comments:

lucepie said...

I thought the earthen tiles gave a nice roman effect but I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the metal door. What were they thinking. Now is making me think of a doctor who set. Off putting

FiH said...

Thanks lucepie - I entirely agree. The door is ODD. The rest is great. Lose the door, Moose!